The Grecian Garden

Living a nourished life

Spring Cleanse – Juice fasting recipes

Mar 24

Spring Cleanse – Juice fasting recipes

IMG 4147 300x224 Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipes

Got Greens?

When I was still in elementary school, my grandpa got a juicer thanks to the Jay Kordich infomercials. My grandpa juiced regularly throughout the years and to this day, he and my grandma are some of the healthiest eighty year olds I know.

I was always interested in nutrition and health growing up so, thanks to grandpa, I started juicing. I started off by juicing for specific ailments, such as juicing watercress to cleanse the lungs or juicing cranberries for a bladder infection. Through this process I came to the conclusion that juicing simply needs to be a part of our daily lives. Instead of chasing symptoms, we need to allow our cells to detox, so that our bodies can heal and repair any trouble spots.

It’s no surprise that we live in a toxic world, and that is why it is all the more important to  juice fresh vegetables on a regular basis.  Juicing gives our bodies a break from digestion, helping to cleanse and detoxify our cells while simultaneously providing living enzymes to our modern-day depleted systems.

Juicing: one of the easiest ways to detox

My favorite type of cleanse to do is a juice fast.  Juice fasting is one method of cleansing that is incredibly easy yet so rewarding. You will also most likely have increased energy when juice fasting, which means you can still work and juice fast. I did a 5 day juice fast while working by simply bringing the juice I needed for the day with me. I stored the juice in the cafeteria fridge. I think I actually got more work done that week!  I highly recommend drinking the juice within 15 minutes of making it to make sure it doesn’t begin to oxidize.  But, If you work and you must bring the juice with you, its not the end of the world.   Try doing a juice fast on the weekend to ensure you can drink the freshest juice possible.

My Recent Cleanse

For my most recent cleanse, I did a three day juice fast.  I drank one tall glass of juice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day.  I try to have all my veggies washed and prepped the night before a  juice fast so that I can juice quickly. It’s important to note that, while juice fasting, your digestion gets to take a well deserved rest.  For this reason, if you plan on doing a juice fast for more than one day, I highly recommend doing an enema. Read up on enemas here.

Below are some of the juice recipes I used. If you need help doing a detox or cleanse, I’ll gladly walk you through one!  Email me at thegreciangarden(at)aol(.)com.

IMG 4112 300x224 Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipes

get your beet on

Everyday Energizer

4 carrots, tops and tails chopped off

4 stalks celery, chop ends off

small handful of parsley, juice stems as well

1 small zuchhini, tops and tails chopped off

1/2 of a small beet, tops and tails chopped off

1/2 inch nub of fresh ginger

1/4 lemon peeled

Push all through the juicer and drink up!

Alkalizing Green Juice

I drank this one at least once a day, sometimes twice

1/2  cucumber (skin still on if organic)

4 stalks of celery

2 Large handfuls of greens(spinach, kale, swiss chard, beet greens, arugula, watercress, turnip greens, etc)

1-2 cloves of garlic peeled or 1/2 inch nub of fresh ginger

1/2 lemon peeled

Push all through the juicer.  Juice the greens by pushing them down with the cucumber or celery.

Peach berry cocktail

I try to drink as many alkalizing vegetables on a juice fast as possible, but just to mix it up I usually add one glass of fruit juice during a cleanse.   Always dilute fruit juice with water to avoid blood sugar issues.

2 peaches, cut in half, seeds removed

1 orange, peeled with a vegetable peeler keeping as much pith on as possible

1/2 cup blueberries, raspberries, or cherries, pitted

Push fruit through the juicer.  Then add 1/2 cup purified water to dilute.

Super cleanser

3 handfuls of any green (spincah, kale, water cress, lettuce, etc)

1/2 cup organic broccoli

4 carrots, tops and tails removed.

Push all through the juicer and enjoy your green juice glow!

~~~

Those are a few of my basic juice recipes.  I save all the tops and tails of my veggies  for making homemade broths.  I store them in the fridge if I plan on making the broth that week or in the freezer if I’m not sure when I’ll be making broth.  As I mentioned earlier, do not hesitate to email me if you need any help doing a cleanse or if you are not sure which cleanse is right for you.

I’m super excited to tell you that The Grecian Garden is going to The Mother Country!   Yes, my husband and I are going to take our first trip to Greece!!  I’m beyond stoked for this dream come true vacation.  I will be gone for two weeks starting Saturday, but when I return I will let you know how I planned for my trip (food wise) and how it worked out.

Do you have a favorite juice recipe?  What’s your favorite juicer?

-Melanie

This post linked to Real Food Weekly and The Pennywise Platter

Don’t forget to “like“ The Grecian Garden on facebook

*Disclaimer:  Always speak with your health practitioner prior to beginning any new treatment

tumblr Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipesstumbleupon Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipesdelicious Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipesreddit Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipesmyspace Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipesemail Spring Cleanse   Juice fasting recipes

26 Comments

1. eleni says:

that fruit juice made my mouth water;)

2. I just borrowed a juicer to see if I could actually benefit from one before making the investment. I’ll try it this weekend and am thankful for your recipes. I’m a huge smoothie girl though. I love how thick and filling smoothies are. I’m worried that the juices will leave me feeling hungry after all of those wonderful veggies are pressed through and the pulp discarded. ??? Nervous.

3. Melanie says:

heather- its very smart of you to borrow a juicer to try it out to see if you like it. I actually like juicing more than smoothies, but we all have different tastes. Juicing gives my body a break from digestion and I think that why my body likes it so much. A tall glass of juice is filling for me. You can use the pulp in making crakcers in your oven or dehydrator if you have one. You can use a cracker recipe from elena’s pantry website, add the extra veggie fiber from juicing with a little more liquid. Let me know if you like juicing! :)

4. Melanie says:

Have you juiced anything interesting lately eleni?

5. sara says:

This has nothing to do with juicing, but it does relate to food. I had left over basil, so I washed it, dried it, pick the stems off, and rolled a good bunch of leaves together tightly to make a small log of basil. I then wrapped it really tight in plastic wrap to see how well it holds up in the freezer. Well I only needed a small amount on my homemade pizzas I was taking to work. I was able to grate the basil on a microplane to use it as a topping. Not only does the basil hold up in the freezer, it works well grating it when you need to use it to enhance some foods. You and eleni are most likely the only people that would find this info useful that I know.

6. Melanie says:

Sara, that is an absolutely incredible idea! You are brilliant! When my summer basil harvest comes in, I am so going to do that. And you are right, Eleni and I are the only people to get super excited about freezing herbs :)

7. johanna says:

My husband and I just started a juice fast today. We are looking forward to trying your recipes, especially the alkalizing green juice! I have had two large glasses of juice so far today and I feel great! Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Melanie says:

that’s great, Johanna! thanks for stopping by and let us know how the juice fast goes :)

9. Laura & Rob says:

My husband and I are headed to the market early tomorrow morning to get our vegetables and fruit so we can start juicing…don’t see us doing just juice to start with, especially him, but a 30+ day fast is our goal. Nervous and excited, thank you so much for the recipes.

10. Rebekah and Russell says:

My husband and I are thinking of doing a juice fast. What are some good ways to get good tasting juices. Neither my husband or I are big on a lot of veggies. I have heard using carrots, but I know we need color variety to get the different nutrients. We would like to do this so we can not only lose weight, but to have healthier lifestyles. We have 2 children that we do not want to grow up to be overweight.

11. Josette says:

Getting ready to start a juice fast. The only thing that is really discouraging to me is having to pre-make some juice for work. How well do those hold up? I can’t imagine juice that’s a few hours old being very tasty. Any thoughts or tips? Also any suggestions on a juicer. I have had a Jack Lalane’s for years and have used it quite a bit, but feel like I want to upgrade.

12. Val says:

Melanie,
    I heard that juice fast can actually help with some serious medical condition. So now I know you are not a doctor but have you ever heard anything associate with lupus? I have this medical condition and i would like to try juicing for a while to see if it helps. I am not on any meds and I hope I never will be. I was thinking about introducing the juice at first as the substitute for one of the meal, like lunch for instance. What do you think?

13. Albert says:

Hi!

I plan to do a 40 day water fast after so i want to do a 3 day juice fast before i start
    So,which one would you suggest.

14. Teddy says:

I’m Teddy from California and I’m only 14 years old. I am Russian Orthodox and every year before Easter we do a vegan fast. I have been noticing how unhealthy I am. I am a healthy weight of 135 pounds, but I have acne and mouth sores from eating junk food. My mom is an “all organic freak” and she encourages juicing a lot. I want to do a 7 day fast starting tomorrow. I’m nervous but confident :) Wish me luck!

15. Teddy says:

And by the way to clear up anything, I’m a girl with a given name of Theodora just wanted to comment on that :)

16. HenryMachado says:

Hey my wife and I saw a documentary on juicing called ‘Fat, Sick, And nearly dead’ and I’m telling you it totally motivated us to begin our Juice fasting diet. We’re on our 2nd day and I can’t wait to try your recipes for cleansing. I’m doing this because I weigh about 428 lbs and Im ready to change my life I know it’s hard but I feel that in order to change my eating habits I have to completely eliminate food for a while and change my way of eating after cleansing and detoxing my body in this juice fast diet. So thank u for the juice recipes again and wish us luck on our juice fasting adventure.

17. doug says:

Ditto on Fat, Sick and nearly dead. Melanie I already know what a sweet person you are. MMMMMM All of the great food you fed me when I put in your water filter. Made the decision and bought a juicer and today is start day. Decided to look on line for some juice recipes and there you are. Ok here goes. Looking to increase my health line. God Bless. Doug

18. Angela says:

My daughters and I are going to start a 30 day, but hoping to do at least a 60 day fast starting September 1st. We watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead last week and it was very inspirational. I weigh 316 pounds, the heaviest I’ve ever been. My oldest daughter weighs 384 pounds and is a junior in high school. Her Dr has suggested she have a gastric bypass, but we saw this documentary and talked to her Dr and have decided to try this juice fast to drop weight and retrain our eating habits. Any helpp or advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated. Anything to keep myself and my daughter alive and get her healthy and in shape!

19. Monica says:

I am looking to do 2-3 day juice cleanse and would love any additional tip or tricks you have for me. One hesitation I have is that I work a 9-5 job about 45mins from my house. So i leave around 8 in the morning and don’t get back until almost 6pm. Would I still be able to juice and take it with me? We do have a fridge at work if that helps. Love to hear from you. Thanks for the great post!

20. Great Article! My Wife and I just borrowed a juicer and we are planning on starting a 14 day fast next weekend. We are using this week to prep our bodies and find juices that we like. I am very interested in trying Everyday Energizer and the Alkalizing Green Juice! Thanks for the great information.

21. Elizabeth says:

I have been fasting with juice (both fruit and oure green) for only two days. I enjoy the extra energy I have, but am comserned about the way my stomach behaves when I have green juice. After I drink it, I actually become nausiated for a little while and feel as though I might vomit. Is this normal?

22. Melanie says:

Elizabeth, that’s not normal: I would dilute the green juices with fresh carrot or try carrot and celery juice. Some of the nausea may also be a detox reaction as your cells release toxins.

Monica, juice is a great substitute for a morning coffee and will become a sustainable habit because all you have to change is the liquid you pour into your travel mug!

For everyone else (who, um, commented months ago), the key is to slowly adapt your lifestyle until juicing comes as naturally as reaching for that bag of Cheetos. Mindless eating is a huge problem for our culture, so mindfully enjoying a glass of juice will do you wonders–sweeter vegetables such as carrots may be more palatable at first until the cycle of craving simple sugars is broken. I also enjoyed the movie “Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead”, and realize that for some people, a long juice fast is exactly what they need (although a 40 day water fast will do little other than improve your budget). I try to drink my juice within an hour or two.

23. [...] SOURCE: http://thegreciangarden.com/2011/03/24/spring-cleanse-juice-fasting-recipes/ [...]